Smart meter installed

Finally! It took 2 days off, 2 months, 5 phonecalls to Liander and 5 men to install the smart meter in our house. But after it was installed, the smart meter was ‘online’ in a matter of minutes! 😉 An FTDI TTL-232R USB cable (5V), RJ-11 connector and Maarten’s blog post were all that was needed to get the P1 output logged to a file:

!
/ISk52ME382-1003

0-0:96.1.1(4B414C37303035313039373537343132)
1-0:1.8.1(00058.667*kWh)
1-0:1.8.2(00000.000*kWh)
1-0:2.8.1(00000.000*kWh)
1-0:2.8.2(00000.000*kWh)
0-0:96.14.0(0001)
1-0:1.7.0(0000.98*kW)
1-0:2.7.0(0000.00*kW)
0-0:17.0.0(0999.00*kW)
0-0:96.3.10(1)
0-0:96.13.1()
0-0:96.13.0()
0-1:24.1.0(3)
0-1:96.1.0(3238303131303031323139323034343132)
0-1:24.3.0(120810060000)(00)(60)(1)(0-1:24.2.1)()
(00000000)
0-1:24.4.0(1)

Because I didn’t want to wait till (maybe) 2020, I applied  for a priority installation of a smart meter in our house in June this year. On July 2nd a mechanic showed up, but his visit was a very short one – I didn’t have the right gas valve (the mechanic called it a “wilson” valve…). Apparently this valve wasn’t good enough anymore, so it had to be replaced before the smart meter could be installed. This mechanic told me that over time the grease inside this “wilson valve” would dry up, which increases the friction inside the valve and the valve would not completely close anymore, no matter how hard the valve knob was turned. Result: gas leakage and nothing you can do about it.

The mechanic made some pictures of the valve and sent them to Liander; Liander would call me, he said. Okay, let’s cut them some slack; 3 weeks later we’d go to Italy on holiday, so I decided to postpone this mission till after we returned. But after I went back to work for a week or 2 and still hadn’t heard anything from Liander for 7 weeks, I decided to call them myself.

After 3 phonecalls to get in touch with the right person, the new date was set to september 3rd. The 2 men that came to our house last Monday told me they also had to replace the gas piping, so they started digging a hole in our front yard. Later that morning the electrician arrived; with the wrong meter: 3-phase instead of single phase! Someone else had to bring the right meter – so now there were 4 people working on our smart meter… all for the price of 70 Euro’s 🙂

Around noon everything was working again. Well, not everything… The gas meter doen’t seem to be ‘paired’ with the power meter as can be seen in the output of the P1 port:

0-1:24.3.0(120810060000)(00)(60)(1)(0-1:24.2.1)()
(00000000)

The number in red should display the gas usage and the blue number should be a recent timestamp. This could change in a few days, cause from what I’ve heard the pairing can also be done from a distance. I hope this doesn’t take too long, cause I’m in the dark regarding our gas usage now, cause counting the pulses of the rotating mirror is not possible anymore; there’s an LCD on the gas meter now.

I can still monitor the power usage though, with my DIN rail mounted KWh meter with S0 output.

And now it’s time to find a way to feed the P1 output to my system, cause USB is not the best option for that!

Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Smart meter installed

  1. Pingback: Processing the smart meter data - Digits Domotica Blog

  2. Pingback: Processing the smart meter data - Digits Domotica Blog

  3. Pingback: Smart meter online - Digits Domotica Blog

  4. Milan says:

    This morning I had a gas meter installed and it exposes the same behavior as described above: only zeroes 🙁

    Has your problem been resolved yet? If so, did the problem disappear by itself or was some action required?

    Kind regards,
    Milan

    • Hi Milan,

      From what I know the zeroes are caused by the fact that the gas meter and power meter are not paired. This can be done on location, but also afterwards from a distance – it’s just an administrative action (so I’ve been told). After a week of zeroes I decided to call Liander and tried to explain my problem (prepare for a conversation with much disbelief on the other side 😉 ) and that same night the gas usage suddenly showed up. But I think this was a coincidence, cause 2 weeks later Liander called me about the problem; which was already gone.
      So if I were you I would just wait for a week or so and see what happens – the issue should automatically disappear.

  5. Milan says:

    OK, thanks for your reply. I’ll just wait for now and see what happens. If I won’t forget, I’ll post my experiences here 😉

    • Milan says:

      No gas meter readings yet. Today I called Endinet. They will contact Enexis to see where the root cause lies. At least Endinet appeared to understand the problem…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *