MAX! interface completed

Since last Thursday, I’m now controlling 6 ELV MAX! Radiator Thermostats. Yes! But to be honest, not everything about the the ELV MAX! Central Heating system is that great. Here are some of the ‘problems‘ I had to deal with.

F2 errors.

When a Radiator Thermostat is installed, it will do a so-called adapter run to check whether the pin of the heating valve can be moved and the actuating range is OK. If not, the LCD display will show an error (F1, F2 or F3). Nearly all my Radiator Thermostats got an F2 error; which means the actuating range is too high. Strange, because my Jaga radiators have an actuating range that’s smaller than the 4.2 mm actuating range of the actuator.. I found out that the actuator didn’t make contact in fully retracted position – that’s not good, cause this means that the actuator can’t make use of the full 4.2 mm to control the heating valve. The result is, that the actuator doesn’t reach the position where the heating valve pin can’t be pushed in any further, hence the actuator thinks the actuating range is too high… After measuring some dimensions, I concluded that only a small modification of 1-1.5 mm would suffice, so I took a Radiator Thermostat with me to the garage and used a hacksaw to cut a slice off the Thermostat:

Before...After.

It worked! I’ve done this with all my 6 Radiator Thermostats and they’re all running fine now, no more F errors!

Cube doesn’t know what time it is

This one was even more serious. The Cube doesn’t have a clock; it synchronizes with a time server on the Internet. Right; but if (for whatever reason) that synchronization fails, you could find yourself waking up in the middle of the night with your bedroom temperature set to a day temperature! That’s unacceptable of course. There seems to be a work-around for that, you know… power cycle the Cube on a Saturday at 10:00, and the weekly program will run just fine! Why? Because when the Cube can’t do a time sync, it assumes it’s Saturday 10:00; Bravo! I found this work-around on the ELV forum BTW, where quite a few ELV customers vent their problems with the ELV MAX!.

Actually, if you can’t do what I did (=developing my own weekly program functionality), this problem actually makes the ELV MAX! system completely useless.

Fortunately, I could start using the Radiator Thermostats, despite these issues… 🙂

 

Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to MAX! interface completed

  1. Herman says:

    I found a simple solution for the F2 errors. Just put a coin that fits in the thermostat it solves the problem. A 5 eurocent coin does the trick.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *