JeeNode/ZigBee pressure sensor closed

Now that my Zigbee/Jeenode equipped pressure sensor is working for 3 months without any problems, it was time to leave the breadboard stage and move on to something more permanent. While ordering new Jeenodes at Jean-Claude Wipplers shop, i stumbled upon a post (i should read his daily weblog more often!) that showed me just what i needed: an enclosure that looked just right for this job. I ordered the Jeenodes, 2 enclosures (1 extra for when i mess up the first one and don’t want to wait for a second delivery..) and some other handy stuff.

First i sawed off the part of the PCB that i didn’t need, to decrease it’s size.

JeeNode PCB without RF part

JeeNode PCB size reduction

Guess what? Now the length of the PCB equals the internal width of the enclosure! Nice… I still had some battery holders laying around that also fitted quite well:

Enclose, batt holder and JeeNode

Enclosure, batt holder and JeeNode

I didn’t want to leave off the FTDI headers, so i used 6 straight headers and removed the plastic strip from the headers after the headers were soldered onto the PCB. With the plastic headers left on, the completed PCB was just a bit to wide for the enclosure, which caused tension and the enclosure wouldn’t close well anymore.

Next item that had to be prepared, was the XBee Breakout Board. Normally the top of this Breakout Board contains the 2mm XBee headers and the 0.1″ spaced headers are at the opposite side. I removed the bottom headers i soldered in when i used this board for other purposes and soldered 6 wires on it from the top, only for those pins i really needed:

XBee Breakout Board

XBee Breakout Board

Pin 1 (labeled Vcc) for Power, Pin 3  (labeled DIN) for transmission, Pin 9 (DTR) for controlling Sleep mode, Pin 10 (GND), Pin 11(CTS) and Pin 12 (ON) for the LED. This makes the Breakout board a lot thinner and the wires are coming out between the board and the XBee module.

After soldering the wires coming from the XBee board to the JeeNode, drilling a hole for the LED (which blinks when a pressure sample is being sent), soldering the wires and gluing the battery holder into the enclosure, it looked like this:

Almost done!

Almost done!

The FTDI headers are very handy now, for uploading the sketch with the JeeNode already inside the enclosure; cause all you have to do is open the enclosure, gently lift up the left side of the JeeNode and connect the cable. So whenever i need to upgrade the JeeNode, i don’t have to worry about connecting issues.

FTDI cable connected to the JeeNode

FTDI cable connected to the JeeNode

Now all there was left to do was moving the XBee module and the Pressure Plug from the Breadboard to their new ‘home’, add 4 batteries, click on the other half of the enclosure and.. my first WAF certified sensor was born!

Zigbee Pressure sensor

Tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to JeeNode/ZigBee pressure sensor closed

  1. Pingback: Motion sensor in next stage

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *